Bed bugs are on the rise in many countries, including the US and the UK and became a really big problem for many families now. Specialists at the 2010 Comprehensive Global Bed Bug Study say that the world faces the threshold of a bed bug pandemic around the world. One of the main causes of the increased number of bed bugs is the fact that more people are travelling more nowadays and lack knowledge and ways of protection against them.
Bed bugs are small-sized wingless insects that live in our homes, including beds, sofas, mattresses, suitcases, boxes and other places. They are known to feed on humans, especially when they are asleep. You can notice bed bugs with the naked eye, when looking in the seams and tucks of mattresses, pillows and places when they can be close to you.
Experts say that it is quite difficult to get rid of bed bugs without professional help. But there are certain measures you can take to reduce the occurrence of bed bugs, by following these tips:
- Inspect all the possible places where bed bugs can live, such as beds, sofas, furniture, door jambs, picture frames, carpets and others.
- Bedding and garments affected by bed bugs should be laundered in very hot water at 120 F minimum.
- Warp the things that cannot be laundered in plastic and leave outdoors in a hot place or direct sunlight for several hours. Hot temperature will kill the eggs and the bed bugs.
- Change pillows frequently. Ideally, you should buy a new bed pillow once in two years, but if you noticed bed bugs, you may need to change it more often.
- Use protective encasements for the mattress, pillows and box springs, which can be purchased online. They are designed to trap bed bugs, so that bed bugs eventually die because they cannot escape.
- Vacuum your beds and sofas thoroughly, including all the cracks and gaps. Although this may not eliminate all the bed bugs, it will help to remove the infestation before the treatment with insecticides.
- If you do not want to use over-the counter pesticides, try non-pesticide eco-friendly products that contain natural ingredients that deter bed bugs.
- Contact professional extermination service to get rid of bed bugs.